Sunday 13 September 2015

Day 3 Minion Day

For some reason today everyone was shocked when I appeared in my yellow jacket. Ok I agree I do look like a Minion in it but I have to confess I don't know much about them. Are they nice things? Also I forgot that only Elizabeth knows I like bright colours. Why would anyone else here know that?
When we saw a tiny plastic Minion in someone's front garden as we walked past everyone was taking pictures of it.
So here I am on the top of one of our climbs, you can make your own mind up.






We had all weathers today and I changed my clothes as if I was backstage at a fashion show, fast and many times to suit sun, rain, wind, mizzle, dry and cloudy. 
Gloves, hats, jackets, waterproof trousers, gaitors on and off to suit.

We seemed to climb on and on today out of Seatoller to Rosthwaite then up following rivers water falling from the hills around and seeping from the peat bogs on the top plateau.

At Greenup Edge we could look back down the valley and see Scotland in the very far distance.



Thank goodness for my poles is all I can say. I will never walk steep hills again without them.



Time for a team picture at the top.

As the weather improved Howard decided we should take the slightly longer ridge route over Calf Crag and Helm Crag before our steep descent into Grasmere. As we were running late and our mini buses were waiting for us we were denied retail therapy and marched straight to the car park much to the ladies disappointment but we've been promised a quick look round in the morning.

Back to the Derwent Bank Hotel in Keswick owned by HF Holidays. An incredible big old building with ornamental gardens situated on the banks of Derwent Water.



The food is magnificent with huge servings served by very lovely Richard. You can decide who he reminded me of , I can't say in this public blog but he was so welcoming and attentive we wanted him to come with us in the rest of the trip.



Everything was "champion" in his world. 

Today we walked 10.5 miles with about 600m of ascent.
I have a tiny blister on my heal but nothing to fret about. Otherwise my feet are fine considering the amount of wet boggy land we traipsed and water crossings we made balancing on precarious rocks. Boots are now drying in the warm boot room they have here and I'm off to bed packed and ready to move hotels tomorrow.

X

1 comment: