Tuesday 22 September 2015

Day 12 Refreshers and Floral Gums

Today our coach was 15 minutes late which meant we would miss our elevenses break again :(

It was supposed to rain this morning but the sun was shining and the forecast was wrong thank goodness. There was still a cool wind though so during the four peak climb up and down this morning I put on my striped hat and whiled away the downward walks chewing floral gums which I had carried in my pocket for the whole trip.



I'm looking particularly unstylish but at least my ears were warm.

Once the four peaks across the ridge of the Cleveland Hills had been accomplished we joined an old disused rail line that used to lead from the iron mines. It was 6 miles of flat trail through heather with grouse occasionally flying up as we disturbed them. Except for this one bold grouse that stopped to chat to us.



He had white feathery legs and a very deep voice.




My shadow that has followed me most of this walk.

2hours it took us to walk the six flat miles and we came to a pub where we were being collected. We were half an hour early before the coach was due so time for a quick drink and sit down in the warm.




Look at the sky as we arrived at the pub.

As the coach set off we were suddenly in a downpour and the cloud had closed in very quickly. We finished our walk just in time. 12.5 miles. 

After dinner tonight there was a tour of Whitby in the dark in an open topped bus. It was freezing but interesting to be shown round the town although we couldn't see a lot. The abbey was dark and looming on the cliff but it was something different to do instead of going to bed early. 

Two more days and I'm going to miss this walking trip and all my new friends.

X



No comments:

Post a Comment