Friday 25 September 2015

Day 14 This is going to be our Big Final Day

Ok so today we are packing for our last day of walking. My blister was taped up and strapped up and with only 15.5 miles to go until my toes get dipped into the North Sea at Robin Hoods Bay. A place I cannot imagine, even though I've said the name every day for months as I have described my trip to people and tried to imagine the feeling of arriving after a192 mile trudge.

It will become real today unless anything dreadful happens.

We left Grosmont and for the first 30 minutes of walking it was a 33% uphill climb on the narrow road out and up to more heather moorland. 2 weeks ago this climb would have been so hard but we stormed it after all our ascents of the last 177 miles.



We needed a back marker today but with 13 people and 14 days of walking where we had all taken a turn we decided that my stripey hat would be worn by each of us for half an hour as back marker. We admined it perfectly, after all, we were a tight team by now. 


Look at Shirley she looked super stylish , even with her banana skin.

The day passed and we had incredible views of the sea with great skies, little fluffy clouds and lots of blue. 
At Hawsker Magaret's friend Karen appeared with home made chocolate brownie for us all as a treat. She had driven over 2 hours from Manchester to meet us all and had been tracking us across the moors. 

We eventually reached the coast but still had 3 miles to go until The Bay. We walked with the sea to our left and there appeared a double rainbow that started and ended in the sea.



Just look at that view. A treat for our eyes, spurring us on.



Look in the background. That's Robin Hoods Bay. Look at my face. I'm so giddy. I'm skipping along even though my toes are squished and my hooves need to be set free of my friendly boots as soon as I can.

The walk down into the Bay is so steep. We trot down the steep sloping road past the shops with souvenirs and there it is, the small bay with the sea.

I totter slowly into the water. I AM HERE, I HAVE DONE IT 192 MILES walked across England. 



It felt strangely low key, was that it? My boots are in the North Sea. The end of my journey with 13 other great people. Karen arrived with champagne for us all, what a great lady, just perfect. We congratulated each other with hugs and smiles and cheers and photos. Another rainbow appeared. 

I put my pebble into the waters edge. 



And turned my back to the sea to trudge back up the hill to the waiting coach to take us back to the hotel.

And that's another story. Back at the hotel I gave birth to my feet out of my boots for the last time, went to collect my room key and turned around. My face was a picture. There were Holly and Charli. In my hotel. They had driven over from Manchester, 3 hours drive to see me and welcome me back. What a wonderful surprise. I had no idea of their plans, the little monkeys. I couldn't quite believe it that they were with me even if it was just for 2 hours. THANKYOU girls. You are my superstars and what a great reason for being self sufficient and driving yourselves wherever you choose to go. We celebrated with chocolate on my bed.



Apparently I was a bit smelly.

I waved the girls off at dinner time still not quite believing they had really been here and then celebrated with prosecco which I bought for our team. I stood up and handed our collection to Howard, our leader that had painstaking lead us safely over all the terrain, 192 miles across our gloriously unspoilt North of England as a volunteer for HF Holidays. He immediately passed the collection to Elizabeth and I to give to our charities as we were the only two who were walking for charity. We were lost for words. It didn't seem right but Howard was adamant and we had to accept with grace.

What a day, what a night. What a two weeks. I have an amazing life. It's been a privilege. 

I've DONE it and I can still put one foot in front of the other. I'm so happy. Thank you for reading and supporting me.

Xxxx 

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog Loz - how on earth did you find the time to write it?

    ReplyDelete