Wednesday 23 September 2015

Day 13 And my feet are suffering

This morning the sun shone on top of the moors but it was windy and felt quite cold. I wrapped myself up warm in my hat, gloves and minion jacket and we started the long tramp across the heather moorland. I also felt that I may be getting a cold but that went away as the day progressed.

We came across Fat Betty, a white painted stone where it was tradition to leave food for her. I left her some floral gums, she may appreciate those.



This is Elizabeth and I with Fat Betty.

Looking in the far distance I could make out the sea. OMG was that really the sea? The North Sea? 
I was giddy.
This is my giddy face with the sea in the distance behind me, not easy to see in the picture but trust me it was there.



By lunchtime my left heel was feeling sore and my socks were not behaving. The compeeds had left so much sticky stuff deposited on my inner socks that they were sticking to my feet and my outer socks and looking inside there was a juicy blister forming. Oh no this wasn't good news. I re dressed it and we clopped on until suddenly the heather and moorland had disappeared and we were walking in woodland and along village roads. Thank goodness for my poles as I hobbled on. I am seeing my future now with poles as aids.



This is us all on Beggars Bridge.

At Grosmont, our final destination, there was an old fashioned station and crossing and I wandered up to the working sheds to see a steam train that was being renovated. Don't ask me why I walked further than was necessary today but I was nosey and didn't want to miss out on anything. I went to find some of the team in the local pub and joined them for a quick drink. I also went into the sweet shop and bought a bag of rhubarb and custard sweets to share out on the bus ride back.



Tonight was Dollies birthday celebration and we had cake and sang "when I'm 64" because she was. 
I bought her a small sheep as a momento of our trip and we ate her cake all together as we went through the answers to the quiz Howard had set at the beginning of the walk. I got 43/50 but not all the answers were mine as Elizabeth and I had conferred last night.

My feet are hot, sore and blistered on one heal. But the last 15.5 miles will not defeat me tomorrow. 

Robin Hood's Bay I'm coming for you. Watch out.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment